Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Great Horned Owl at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL

Great Horned Owl at Evergreen Lake 02

I think it's obvious that Andy Williams and the writers of the song he popularized, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," were not birders and probably never lived in Illinois. Since the birth of Christ can be celebrated year round, I would have to disagree with Andy Williams, Edward Pola, and George Wyle. In my opinion, Spring migration, particularly the latter half of April and the first three weeks of May, is the most wonderful time of the year.

Usually, I am so busy watching and photographing birds between late March and the end of May that I have very little time to blog about what I see and photograph during that time period, but this year I have decided to play catch up and give the highlights with some photos. I have already done this with March so here it goes with April. Although Fall migration is now under way and is also an exciting time, the birds are more colorful in Spring, the days are getting longer instead of shorter, the trees are just beginning to blossom, and April more than any month is full of surprises.

I began my April checking on the Great Horned Owl family at Evergreen Lake. Although I did not see the owlets on April 1, both parents were keeping watch over them (See photo above).

The next day, I photographed a nice group of Lesser Scaups at the Gridley Wastewater Treatment Ponds.

Lesser Scaup at Gridley Wastewater Treatment Ponds 03

No comments:

Post a Comment