Sunday, April 14, 2013

Eastern Phoebe and Other Migrants

Eastern Phoebe at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL

On the morning of April 11, I met Les Allen at Ewing Park where I saw this photogenic Eastern Phoebe, shown above, and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, shown below.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL

Les was the first to notice this wet red morph Eastern Screech-owl, checking us out from inside the screech-owl box.

Eastern Screech-owl at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL 04

On August 12, I photographed a few birds in my yard, including this male Brown-headed Cowbird and a White-throated Sparrow.

Brown-headed Cowbird in Normal, IL 01

White-throated Sparrow in Normal, IL 04

Later at Evergreen Lake, I finally found some Red-breasted Mergansers on the McLean County side in White Pines Cove, only these were females and juveniles.

Red-breasted Merganser at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 15

Red-breasted Merganser at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 02

Red-breasted Merganser at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 17

I also enjoyed watching several male Wild Turkeys displaying as did the female Wild Turkeys that were with them.

Wild Turkey at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 02

On April 14, I began my day photographing a rabbit in our yard. Then I headed to Ewing Park where I had a close encounter with another Hermit Thrush.

Rabbit in Normal, IL 01

Hermit Thrush at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL

Once again there was a screech-owl in the screech-owl box, but this time, it was a gray morph.

Eastern Screech-owl at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL 06

Other birds present included Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Eastern Towhee. The towhee I photographed was a female.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL

Yellow-rumped Warbler at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL

Eastern Towhee at Ewing Park in Normal, IL 02

A little later the same day, at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary, I photographed this male Eastern Towhee and an oriole nest still around from the last Spring/Summer.

Eastern Towhee at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary

Oriole Nest at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary

No comments:

Post a Comment