Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Warblers, Butterflies, and a Few Other McLean County Birds on 08-26-11

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 08

Friday morning, I returned to Ewing Park in search of more migrants, but before I got into my car and left the house, I saw one of them in my own yard on Glenn Street in Normal. This Great Crested Flycatcher was flying high up in the trees behind my feeders. I

Great Crested Flycatcher in Normal, IL 01

I arrived at Ewing and walked through Hedge Apple Woods. As I got to the end of the woods along the stream, I again heard the call of the Cooper's Hawks. I began walking through the grassy area and ran into Matthew Winks, who was only able to stay for a few more minutes. I got a quick glimpse of a Magnolia Warbler and headed toward the hedge row of tall trees between the swale and the softball fields. There I heard and saw a Belted Kingfisher fly overhead as well as several American Redstarts in the hedge, but no adult males.

American Redstart at Ewing Park 01

Later at this same spot I saw a Magnolia Warbler preening in a bush. I watched it for a couple of minutes before it flew into the hedge row and sat fairly still for a nice photo session.

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 01

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 02

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 03

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 05

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 06

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 07

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 10

Magnolia Warbler at Ewing Park 11

This Magnolia Warbler seemed to be curious about me. The way it extended its neck seemingly to look at me reminded me of the Magnolia Warbler I saw on the McLean County Spring Bird Count this year at Centennial Park shown below. This shot will allow a comparison of Fall and Spring plumage on this bird.

Magnolia Warbler at Centennial Park 01

A Nashville and a Chestnut-sided Warbler, shown below, were also present in this hedge row at Ewing on Friday.

Nashville Warbler at Ewing Park 01

Chestnut-sided Warbler at Ewing Park

Finally, I saw this bird, which resembles a Vireo, but I am not sure what it is. I would appreciate any identification help if anyone who reads this post knows what it is.

Ewing Park

I left Ewing Park mid-morning and drove to Centennial Park in Heyworth. There was a Great Blue Heron, Canada Geese, a couple of Green Herons, and a couple of Belted Kingfishers present, but it was otherwise quiet. On the North side of the lake, I saw several Butterflies and Skippers drawn to a patch of flowers. The most noticeable was this Viceroy, which was the first of its species I had seen.

Viceroy at Centennial Park 01

Viceroy at Centennial Park 02

Viceroy at Centennial Park 05

Also present in this same patch were two Silver-spotted Skippers and two Fiery Skippers.

Silver-spotted Skipper at Centennial Park

Fiery Skipper at Centennial Park 02

Fiery Skipper at Centennial Park 03

Fiery Skipper at Centennial Park 04

Fiery Skipper at Centennial Park 05

Last but not least, I saw these beautiful Common Buckeyes.

Common Buckeye at Centennial Park 01

Common Buckeye at Centennial Park 03

Common Buckeye at Centennial Park 05

This Great Blue Heron was standing on the island in the middle of the lake.

Great Blue Heron at Centennial Park

After checking out the butterflies and herons, I left Centennial and headed to Schroeder Nature Sanctuary hoping to find Shorebirds, but I only found more Herons (Great Blue and Green), Kingfishers, and a lot of Killdeer.

Great Blue Heron at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 01

Great Blue Heron at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 02

Great Blue Heron at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 03

From the blind I was able to get great looks at this female Belted Kingfisher, who sat in this same spot for a long time.

Belted Kingfisher at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 01

Belted Kingfisher at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 07

Belted Kingfisher at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 10

Belted Kingfisher at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 14

Belted Kingfisher at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary 16

From Schroeder, I went to Angler's Pond where I saw more Great Blue and Green Herons. It was kind of a hot day and the Warbler/ migrant activity seemed to end at about 9:00 or 9:30 a.m. before I left Ewing Park, but I enjoyed the other creatures I saw.

Sunday when I returned to Ewing it seemed pretty thin. I briefly saw a pair of Warblers I could not identify and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment