Monday, August 22, 2011

Good Migrations at Ewing Park in McLean County

Chestnut-sided Warbler at Ewing Park in McLean County 02

This morning I went to Ewing Park before work to check for early migrants. Hedge Apple Woods was pretty empty, but I did hear the young Cooper's Hawk's calling in the trees along the stream. I followed the call to the football field and got a pretty good look at this bird.

Cooper's Hawk at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

I continued to walk along the stream until I spotted an adult male American Redstart, but that was all I saw until I headed back to the swale. In the wall of trees close to the softball fields, I observed a few minutes of good activity. The first bird I was able to identify was a Great Crested Flycatcher.

Great Crested Flycatcher at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

There were also six or seven Warblers including Chestnut-sided, Blackburnian, American Redstart, and Northern Parula, and Black-throated Green. They were feeding and moving so quickly, I was not able to identify all of them. The excitement ended to quickly. Before 9:00 a.m. it was getting hot. These birds disappeared and I did not see any more Warblers though I searched diligently.

Chestnut-sided Warbler at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

Black-throated Green Warbler at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

However, I did enjoy this Black Swallowtail in the over grown swale.

Black Swallowtail at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

Black Swallowtail at Ewing Park in McLean County 02

Black Swallowtail at Ewing Park in McLean County 03

A Gray Catbird and an abundance of House Wrens offered great looks.

Gray Catbird at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

House Wren Black at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

I could not believe how many Hummingbirds there were in the park. Most of them were female, but I did get a couple of shots of this male.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird at Ewing Park in McLean County 01

Ruby-throated Hummingbird at Ewing Park in McLean County 02

I've included a complete list below.

Ewing Park (Bloomington), McLean, US-IL
Aug 22, 2011 8:05 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Area
4.0 ac
14 species

Cooper's Hawk 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 7
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
American Crow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 9
House Wren 9
American Robin 1
Gray Catbird 6
American Redstart 2
Northern Parula 1
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Black-throated Green 1
Northern Cardinal 8
American Goldfinch 6

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment