Saturday, August 13, 2011

Summer Dragonflies, Damselflies, and Other Insects

Blue Dasher (female) 06 at Salem Ranch

I have recently learned that as birding gets slower or less birdy in the summer, many birders turn their attention toward other beautiful winged creatures such as butterflies, dragonflies, and damselflies. I will dedicate this blog to reporting the dragonflies and damselflies I have observed and hope to follow up later with blog dedicated to butterflies. Last summer, I could not help but notice and photograph a few dragonflies though as a brand new birder I was still finding new birds and though I did not know that many other birders were also interested in these amazing animals.

Early this summer, on June 20, I went to the Parklands Mohr Tract in McLean County with Matthew Winks looking for the Blue Grosbeak he had spotted there earlier. I thought my chances of seeing the bird with Matthew were pretty good given his apparent extraordinary knack for locating "blue" birds. While I did not see the Grosbeak until after Matthew left, his attention to dragonflies and damselflies as well as butterflies sparked my interest. About a week later, I photographed a couple of dragonflies, while I was out trying to get a second look at a Yellow-breasted Chat I had previously seen at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL. At the time, I did not know many dragonfly names, but later learned that I had photographed a female Twelve-spotted Skimmer and a Common Whitetail.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (female) 01 at Evergreen Lake

Common Whitetail 01 at Evergreen Lake

I was also intrigued by these insects, which appeared to be mating. Still not sure what these are called though I have seen them around quite a bit.

Insects at Evergreen Lake

This summer, I have been taking several of my clients at Salem4Youth on nature walks at Salem Ranch in Livingston County, which has its own sewage treatment area. The lagoons draw in birds and insects. On July 8th, I saw several Damselflies and Dragonflies at Salem Ranch while I was with my clients. I do not have a book on damselflies and have had difficulty finding a good website to use to identify them, so if anyone knows the identification of the damselflies I post or any other insect I have not correctly identified, please share the correct identification. The first picture is a Pond Damsel of some sort followed by one picture of female Blue Dasher and two shots of a male Blue Dasher.

Pond Damsel 01 at Salem Ranch

Blue Dasher (female) 06 at Salem Ranch

Blue Dasher (male) 01 at Salem Ranch

Blue Dasher (male) 03 at Salem Ranch

We also saw other insects that evening including this wasp.

IMG_4715

This male Eastern Pondhawk Dragonfly landed on some algae floating in one of the lagoons.

Eastern Pondhawk (male) 01 at Salem Ranch

Though the light was fading, I photographed a series of Pond Damsel and Spreadwing Damselflies.

Familiar Bluet 02 at Salem Ranch

Familiar Bluet 03 at Salem Ranch

Spreadwing 01 at Salem Ranch

Spreadwing 02 at Salem Ranch

Spreadwing 03 at Salem Ranch

Spreadwing 04 at Salem Ranch

Spreadwing 05 at Salem Ranch

Spreadwing 06 at Salem Ranch

This red dragonfly may have been a Ruby Meadowhawk, but this is one I might need help with identifying.

Ruby or Cherry-faced Meadowhawk 04

On the way back to the cottage, one of my clients picked up this enormous beetle. I hope the poker chip will help with scale.

Beetle at Salem Ranch

On July 9, I went to Dawson Lake to look for birds, butterflies, and dragonflies. The first dragonfly I saw this male Widow Skimmer.

Widow Skimmer 01 at Dawson Lake

Widow Skimmer 02 at Dawson Lake

Widow Skimmer 03 at Dawson Lake

Widow Skimmer 04 at Dawson Lake

I also saw Twelve-spotted Skimmers and did not realize I had already photographed a female Twelve-spot. So I was a little frustrated when they would not land to give me a photo opportunity. However, this female Widow Skimmer did not disappoint me.

Widow Skimmer (female) 04 at Dawson Lake

Widow Skimmer (female) 05 at Dawson Lake

Then I saw more male and female Widow Skimmers and a female Eastern Amberwing.

Widow Skimmer 09 at Dawson Lake

Widow Skimmer (female) 13 at Dawson Lake

Widow Skimmer (female) 15 at Dawson Lake

Eastern Amberwing (female) 06 at Dawson Lake

On the side of the lake opposite to the dam, I saw these Halloween Pennants. It looked like one of them might wake up with neck pain the next day.

Halloween Pennant 01 at Dawson Lake

Halloween Pennant 02 at Dawson Lake

Halloween Pennant 16 at Dawson Lake

Halloween Pennant 20 at Dawson Lake

On July 10, I went to Tipton Park in Bloomington, IL, another location where Matthew Winks had located some dragonflies. There I found this female Blue Dasher and some more Halloween Pennants.

Blue Dasher (female) 07 at Tipton Park

Blue Dasher (female) 08 at Tipton Park

Halloween Pennant 30 at Tipton Park

Halloween Pennant 31 at Tipton Park

Halloween Pennant 32 at Tipton Park

Halloween Pennant 33 at Tipton Park

Later that day I took a face shot of this male Widow Skimmer at Salem.

Widow Skimmer 10 at Salem Ranch

Then on July 12, I captured these image of this male Eastern Amberwing and these mating Pond Damsels making a strange heart at the Gridley Sewage Lagoons, also in McLean County.

Eastern Amberwing (male) at Gridley Sewage Lagoons

Familiar Bluet 04 at Gridley Sewage Lagoons

Back at Tipton on July 14, I saw both male and female Eastern Pondhawks.

Eastern Pondhawk (male) 01 at Tipton Park

Eastern Pondhawk (female) 01 at Tipton Park

Eastern Pondhawk (female) 02 at Tipton Park

Eastern Pondhawk (female) 03 at Tipton Park

Eastern Pondhawk (male) 02 at Tipton Park

On July 15, at the Schroeder Nature Sanctuary, I took several shots of this male Ebony Jewelwing, which was one of many present there.

Ebony Jewelwing 01 at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary

Ebony Jewelwing 02 at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary

Ebony Jewelwing 03 at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary

Later that day at Dawson Lake, I photographed this female Eastern Pondhawk and a Grasshopper.

Eastern Pondhawk (female) 04 at Dawson Lake

Grasshopper 01 at Dawson Lake

Grasshopper 02 at Dawson Lake

Also present were Common Whitetails.

Common Whitetail 02 at Dawson Lake

Common Whitetail 03

At Salem later that evening, I saw more Pond Damsels, this Ebony Jewelwing, and finally what I thought to be my pictures of a female Twelve-spotted Skimmer.

Pond Damsel 05 at Salem Ranch

Pond Damsel 06 at Salem Ranch

Ebony Jewelwing 04 at Salem Ranch

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (female) 02 at Salem Ranch

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (female 03)

In order to get good shots of a male Twelve-spotted Skimmer, I had to go all the way up the the South Pond in Chicago, looking for a Least Bittern, which I missed. I did not, however, miss the male Twelve-spotted Skimmers, which were flying all around where the Least Bittern should have been.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (male) 01 at South Pond

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (male) 02 at South Pond

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (male) 03 at South Pond

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (male) 04 at South Pond

This one, I actually found in McLean County at the Scroeder Nature Sanctuary on July 30.

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (male) 05 at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary

And this Pond Damsel was at the same location on August 5th.

Familiar Bluet 07 at Schroeder Nature Sanctuary

On August 11th, Les Allen and I went birding at Centennial Park in Heyworth, IL. We saw this strangely blue Ebony Jewelwing and a variety of Pond Damsels along the trail.

Ebony Jewelwing 06 at Centennial Park

Blue-fronted Dancer 01 (male) at Centennial Park

Blue-fronted Dancer 02 (male) at Centennial Park

Blue-fronted Dancer 03 (female) at Centennial Park

Blue-fronted Dancer 04 (female) at Centennial Park

Blue-fronted Dancer 05 (female) at Centennial Park

Blue-fronted Dancer 06 (male) at Centennial Park

Finally, we saw what appeared to be some sort of hornet feasting on an Eastern Amberwing dragonfly caught in a spider's web.

Amberwing devoured by Robber Fly at Centennial Park 01

Amberwing devoured by Robber Fly at Centennial Park 02

I've also seen Black Saddlebags and possibly a Calico Pennant flying around, but have not been able to see them land.

1 comment:

  1. Some of my identifications in this blog were wrong or incomplete. Here is a post made on the Illinois Birder's Forum correcting some of my mistakes.

    Benjamin,

    Nice post!! Here are a few IDs for you:

    All of the photos labeled as female Twelve-spots are actually female Common Whitetails. They look quite similar; the best way to tell them apart is the stripe on the abdomen. On the Common Whitetails, the stripe is broken into white segments, but Twelve-spot females have a continuous yellow stripe. Here's a shot of a female Twelve-spot showing the continuous stripe: http://bugguide.net/node/view/197812

    Pond Damsels 01-05, 07: Familiar Bluets
    Pond Damsel 06: male Eastern Forktail
    Pond Damsels 08-13: Blue-fronted Dancers

    Spreadwings 04 & 06: female Eastern Forktails

    The female meadowhawk can't really be IDed without a very up-close, in-hand examination.

    The thing eating the amberwing is some kind of robber fly.

    Cheers,
    Nick Block

    ReplyDelete