Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Alder Flycatcher at Ewing Park

I heard an Alder Flycatcher sing and "peet" several times last night at Ewing, but it was in some thick stuff so I was unable to get to it to see it. Alder was a lifer for me, and hearing the song is a more reliable way to identify Empidonax flycatchers than seeing them. I also heard the "whit" of the Willow Flycatcher several times in the same place, but I did not report Willow because I did not want to make the ID based on a chip note. I also heard an Eastern Wood-Pewee and saw an Olive-sided Flycatcher on a snag above the swale. Least was also reported there though I did not identify one. So it was a good day for flycatchers at Ewing yesterday. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the Mississippi Kite that Given Harper had there yesterday, and I am still trying to see my first Bay-breasted Warbler in Spring breeding plumage.

No comments:

Post a Comment