Thursday, December 27, 2012

Short-eared Owl and Peregrine Falcon in McLean County

Short-eared Owl Between Gridley and El Paso in McLean County 02

Yesterday, I birded before work. I found five Bald Eagles and six Common Mergansers at Evergreen Lake. The oddest bird I found, however, was a Double-crested Cormorant. I'm not sure what this guy was doing around. I thought it was a little strange for this time of year, but the report was not flagged when I entered it into ebird.com.

Double-crested Cormorant at Lake Bloomington in McLean County, IL

On Christmas Eve, Given Harper reported a Peregrine Falcon on top of the south tower of Watterson Towers at Illinois State University in Normal. Yesterday afternoon, Shanin Abreu sent me a text when she was looking at the Peregrine in the same location. I was on my way home from work. So I picked up my wife Carrie, and we met up with Shanin and got great looks at this bird through the scope. This was county year bird #218 for me, the best look Carrie has ever had, and a lifer for Shanin. Thanks to Given and Shanin for the help with this amazing bird!

Peregrine Falcon at Watterson Towers

The Red-shouldered Hawk that Shanin recently helped me with brought me up to #249 in Illinois so I was hoping to see a Trumpeter Swan, a redpoll, or a Short-eared Owl before the end of the year to reach #250. I was thinking about this on the way home, but I did not have time to drive all the way to the Saybrook Habitat Area and then all the way home.

I did decide to search for raptors on my way home, and the Sharp-shinned Hawk I saw on N 400 E Rd. in Flanagan excited me more about the prospects. Perhaps I might see another Northern Harrier or Rough-legged Hawk. Then I decided to check an area in which I located a couple of Snowy Owls last Winter. I did not see any Snowies, but as I pulled out of N 1750 E Rd. onto Co Hwy 24, I saw what looked like a good sized hawk perched on a low red pole Just a few yards off the road. Once I saw the bird's face, I knew immediately that it was a Short-eared Owl. There's something about the face of a Short-eared Owl that reminds me of Halloween so I call them Halloween birds. This Short-eared Owl was a lifer for me and state bird #250! I went ahead and turned around on Co Hwy 24 and drove back to photograph the owl, which seemed completely oblivious to my presence, remaining on the pole until it became dark. Then the owl flew into the cornfields, and I saw it fly once or twice more before it disappeared into the darkness.

Short-eared Owl Between Gridley and El Paso in McLean County 04

Short-eared Owl Between Gridley and El Paso in McLean County 03

Here are a couple of videos I recorded of this awesome owl!



2 comments:

  1. Great photos! I will have to go look for that owl over the weekend...it would be a first for Illinois for me as well. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! I hope you see it! I would maybe check the Saybrook Habitat Area if you do not. By the way, if you see another saw-whet, please let me know. I would like to get a good look at one. My email is benjaminmurphy@msn.com. I did see a saw-whet early this year, but I could only see its talons. It's face was hidden. I will count this on my list, but it leaves something to be desired.

    ReplyDelete