Saturday, December 29, 2012

Merlin in McLean and An Amazing Raptor Week

Merlin at State Farm Corporate South in McLean County, IL 02

This morning, Les Allen and I went birding in McLean County. We decided to drive to the area North of downs, hoping to see another Red-shouldered Hawk, and then go on to Moraine View State Park to search for redpolls, raptors, waterfowl, etc.

At the last minute, I decided to stop at the pond at State Farm Corporate South. After viewing the 67+ Cackling Geese, we decided to head on toward Downs, but I ended up getting confused about how to get back to Ireland Grove Rd. I actually ended up on another road called Ireland Grove just off of Mercer, but this road dead ended into a loading dock. As we were headed toward the loading dock, I saw a bird in a small tree. I could not believe my eyes. It was a Merlin! These birds are around in Winter, but very difficult to find. I had seen my lifer at Ewing Park this Spring, but this bird was a county bird for Les today! Just to think, we would not have seen this bird if I had not turned the wrong way. What a providential blessing!

Merlin at State Farm Corporate South in McLean County, IL 01

We did not have much success North of Downs or at MVSP. At MVSP, we saw five female Hooded Mergansers, some pheasants, American Tree Sparrows, and the typical feeder birds. As we were driving around the park, I stopped to look at a small mixed flock, which included White-breasted Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker, and perhaps the best bird of the day other than the Merlin, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet!

After MVSP, we headed to the Schroeder Wildlife Preserve, where we had a Ruddy Duck and an American Coot at the end of a cold hike. After this, I drove Les home, and went to Evergreen to look for the Tundra Swans that Dave Weth had found there. Unfortunately, I was unable to relocate them, but the variety of waterfowl was a little better there. There were Canada Geese, Cackling Geese, Greater White-fronted Geese, Northern Shovelers, Gadwalls, and Mallards! I even saw an immature Bald Eagle! As I was heading back toward the highway to go home, I noticed this Red-tailed Hawk on the off ramp. I took a few shots, and then drove North so I could exit here and get one from the other side, since the bird was turned the wrong way!

Red-tailed Hawk near Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 01

Red-tailed Hawk near Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 03

Red-tailed Hawk near Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 05

I am thankful for all of the wonderful raptors I have seen this week . . .

Monday - Great Horned Owl, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk
Wednesday - Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk, Peregrine Falcon
Thursday - Sharp-shinned Hawk, Short-eared Owl
Saturday - Merlin, American Kestrel, Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk

It has been one amazing week for raptors--nine species in less than a week! I wonder what next week will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment