Tuesday, October 9, 2012

McLean County Black-bellied Plovers and Dunlin

Black-bellied Plover at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 01

Sunday night Matthew Winks texted me, saying there was a Dunlin on the East side of Evergreen Lake along the shore near the Deer Island Trail. I needed Dunlin as a county bird so I drove to Evergreen yesterday morning before work. I could not find the Dunlin, but I found two Black-bellied Plovers, at least 13 Pectoral Sandpipers, 4 Lesser Yellowlegs, and a Least Sandpiper. Below are pictures I took of the two Black-bellied Plovers. Both birds were clearly identifiable by their thick bills and the black patches underneath their wings, which were exposed when they flew.

Black-bellied Plover at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 04

Black-bellied Plover at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 03

I returned after work yesterday to try for the Dunlin again. The Black-bellied Plovers were still there.

Black-bellied Plover at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 12

Black-bellied Plover at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 11

Also present were 4-5 yellowlegs and about 18 Pectoral Sandpipers.

Pectoral Sandpiper at Evergreen Lake in McLean County

I found the Dunlin, but a group of about 20 Turkey Vultures flew over and startled the birds before I could get any good photos.

Turkey Vulture at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 04

Eventually, I was able to pick the Dunlin out from the Pecs and take some decent identification photos.

Black-bellied Plover and Dunlin at Evergreen Lake in McLean County

Dunlin at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 05

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos! I also saw a black-bellied plover yesterday, though "mine" was at Lake Decatur. They do look quite different from surrounding sandpipers, don't they? I always like it when the ID is easy! There's also been an American avocet at the north marsh area of Clinton Lake recently, in case you need one of those.

    ReplyDelete