Monday, October 22, 2012

Bald Eagles, Sparrows, and a Greater Yellowlegs at Evergreen Lake

On October 11, I returned to the Southeast shore of Evergreen and walked along the shore next to the Deer Island Trail. An area that was previously submerged is now covered in grass and seemed to be a favored spot for the Sparrows. I hoped to see the Sedge Wrens that Hartzler had seen in this area, but alas! Sedge Wren remains my nemesis. The area was thick with Swamp Sparrows, however.

Swamp Sparrow at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 01

On the way from Evergreen to work, I noticed this pair sharing carcasses with Turkey Vultures in a freshly harvested corn field East of Lake Bloomington.

Bald Eagle near Lake Bloomington in McLean County, IL 01

On the 15th, I returned and managed to photograph a couple of other Sparrow species in the favored corner such as this Song Sparrow and adult and juvenile White-crowned Sparrows shown below.

IMG_9770

White-crowned Sparrow at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 03

White-crowned Sparrow at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 10

White-crowned Sparrow at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 12

Other Sparrows present included Field, White-throated, Savannah, and of course Swamp Sparrows galore! When I returned on the 17th, I found this Greater Yellowlegs feeding along the shore.

Greater Yellowlegs at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 01

Greater Yellowlegs at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 02

Also present were several waterfowl species including a Northern Pintail, nine Northern Shovelers, and a single teal. I drove around the lake to see if I could happen upon anything else, and I did. I saw this Bald Eagle soaring low near the water pump station.

Bald Eagle at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 01

1 comment: