Saturday, October 30, 2010

Red-breasted Nuthatch and a Visit to White Oak Park

On Friday, a Brown Creeper caught my eye in my yard on Glenn Avenue in Normal when I was on my way inside. I took my camera out to attempt to photograph it. Then I saw two Red-breasted Nuthatches flying around in the treetops and making a couple of quick visits to my feeders. They darted down to the feeders and back at amazing speeds. I was able to take a few pictures while my fingers were stinging from the cold autumn morning air, but none of very good quality.

Red-breasted Nuthatch in McLean County, IL 02

Red-breasted Nuthatch in McLean County, IL 01

I also saw about nine Dark-eyed Juncos, four Black-capped Chickadees, and a Chipping Sparrow in my yard.

Later that morning I went to White Oak Park to check out the Bufflehead, Mute Swan and some of the other birds that Matthew Winks recently sighted there. I saw the Bufflehead floating in the middle of the lake with four Ring-necked Ducks. I would have liked to have gotten a little closer, but I could at least recognize what they were with the zoom on my camera.

Ring-necked Ducks and Bufflehead at White Oak Park in Bloomington, IL

Then I stopped to take a look at the new resident Mute Swan. Thanks to Matthew, I now understand that this bird is nonnative to North America and can be intrusive to native species. I am not crazy about nonnative species either; however, I still enjoyed viewing this magnificent creature.

Mute Swan at White Oak Park in Bloomington, IL

I took a few fun photos of some common birds.

Mallards and Canada Goose at White Oak Park in Bloomington, IL

Ring-billed Gull at White Oak Park in Bloomington, IL

Then suddenly I saw a large white Raptor flying toward me. The last thing I was expecting to see was an Osprey, and it flew right over my head. What a wonderful surprise!

Osprey at White Oak Park in Bloomington, IL

I saw a few Sparrows in the tall grass and numerous Coots and Pie-billed Grebes. I managed to get a closeup view of a couple of the Grebes before I left.

Pied-billed Grebe at White Oak Park in Bloomington, IL

2 comments:

  1. what kind of camera and zoom lens are you using? I love these pictures! Oh and I will be glad to help get the grass stains out of your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann! I'm glad you like them. I took these pictures with a Canon SX20 IS. It is a point and shoot camera, not SLR, so the lens is not detachable. The optical zoom is up to 20x. Digital zoom increases to 80x. Carrie encouraged me to get a better camera back in March and helped me pick it out, and I have really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete