Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Pleasant Surprise at El Paso Sewage Lagoons in El Paso, IL

American Pipit at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 04

Monday, I was once again lying on my stomach crawling at the El Paso Sewage Lagoons in an attempt to see and photograph ducks by stealth, when my attention to my quarry was interrupted by an unexpected surprise. First, I heard the call and then a little thrush-like bird emerged from the rocks between me and the lagoon less than two yards away from me to my right. I quietly turned and took several shots.

The little bird walked on top of the rocks, wagging his tail making the same repetitive call as if he did not notice me. As I watched in delight, I thought to myself, "This must be a thrush or a pipit."

American Pipit at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 01

After the little bird flew back to the other side of the rocks, I crawled to a different spot by the lagoon where another one emerged allowing additional observation.

American Pipit at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 05

When I got back to my car, I quickly thumbed through my guide book. No thrushes seemed to match, and no wonder!
They were American Pipits. They do not hop like a thrush, but walk on the ground or fly from rock to rock. What a fun little bird to watch! Here are two more pictures.

American Pipit at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 03

American Pipit at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 06

After examining my photographs from Monday, I noticed for the first time that the flock of geese at this location was mixed between Canada Geese and Cackling Geese. Of course the one Snow Goose was still also present. Another surprise that day was flushing three Pheasants in the field to the East of the Lagoon.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of a drab and little noticed bird species. Crawling stealth to see birds is a great way to see them. Rhetta Jack, Springfield

    ReplyDelete