Sunday, May 10, 2015

Eastern Whip-poor-will, Black-throated Blue Warbler, and Black-billed Cuckoo at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL

Eastern Whip-poor-will at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL 05

On Sunday afternoon, May 10, 2015, I went to Ewing Park to look for the Eastern Whip-poor-will seen by the JWP Audubon Society Ewing walk group, led by Les Allen, that morning. I searched for 20-30 minutes without success when I noticed this Black-throated Blue Warbler that Michael Retter had reported the previous day. This bird was not very cooperative, flitting around above me, poorly lit, in the middle of Hedge Apple Woods, but I did manage one decent shot.

Black-throated Blue Warbler at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL

Next I saw an American Redstart and a Black-and-white Warbler.

American Redstart at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL

Black-and-white Warbler at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL

Finally, I saw a whip-poor-will from the trail perched high up in a tree. I had never before seen one during the day, and it was much larger than I had imagined.

Eastern Whip-poor-will at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL 001

Eastern Whip-poor-will at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL 002

Eastern Whip-poor-will at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL 03

Eastern Whip-poor-will at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL 04

I ran into Wes Kolb, who was looking for the Black-throated Blue Warbler, and I showed him the Eastern Whip-poor-will. Next Paula Aschim and Tim Garvey showed up. I called Wayne Hochstetler to let him know about the whip-poor-will. Both Wayne and his wife Lois arrived a little while later in time to see the whip-poor-will. Wes relocated the Black-throated Blue, and we saw three Scarlet Tanagers. Then Lois Hochstetler found this Black-billed Cuckoo. It was the first one I had seen in three years.

Black-billed Cuckoo at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL 04

Black-billed Cuckoo at Ewing Park in McLean County, IL 05

Other birds present included Olive-sided Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Blue-headed Vireo, Philadelphia Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Veery, Swainson's Thrush, Northern Waterthrush, Golden-winged Warbler, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

The next morning, I relocated the Black-throated Blue Warbler.

Black-throated Blue Warbler at Ewing Park in Bloomington, IL 000

No comments:

Post a Comment