Sunday, March 22, 2015

Rusty Blackbirds and Eastern Phoebe in McLean County

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 25

This was Carrie's weekend to work, but a beautiful sunny weekend nonetheless. I spent some time birding on Saturday, beginning at Ewing Park. It was still pretty cool as I walked through the park in mid morning. There were few birds, but I did come across this Eastern Phoebe in the meadow. It was my first of the year.

Eastern Phoebe at Ewing Park in Normal, IL 02

When I first arrived, I saw a beautiful adult Cooper's Hawk fly across the park. Then as I was about to leave the park, I found a small mixed flock including Brown Creepers, a White-breasted Nuthatch, and a Downy Woodpecker.

A little later in the day, I drove to the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary, where I found a nice mixed flock of sparrows foraging in the woods, including Song Sparrows, a couple of Fox Sparrows, and a White-throated Sparrow. Also, in the vicinity, there were Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, American Robins, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and a singing Northern Flicker. Then to my surprise, I heard and then saw a group of about 7 Rusty Blackbirds. These birds were not particularly skittish, so I was able to take quite a few photos of them.

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 01

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 06

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 10

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 11

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 15

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 27

Rusty Blackbird at the Kenneth L. Shroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 33

No comments:

Post a Comment