Saturday, January 17, 2015

Hybrid Ducks at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL

On January 17, I went to the Scroeder Wildlife Sanctuary to check out the ducks from the blind. I had some pheasants near the entrance and a few nice raptors during my walks back and forth to the blind--Sharp-shinned Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, and Bald Eagle.

I was pleased to find a four hybrid ducks amongst the Mallards and Gadwalls. I found this Brewer's Duck (Gadwall X Mallard Hybrid), which may be the same bird that was there last Winter.

Brewer's Duck (Gadwall X Mallard Hybrid) at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL

I also found my first Mallard X Northern Pintail.

Mallard X Northern Pintail Hybrid with Mallards at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 01

Mallard X Northern Pintail Hybrid with Mallards at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 06

There were also what I originally thought to be a pair of American Black Ducks, but notice the male on the left in the first photo and on the right in the second photo has green on its head and a some red coloration on its chest. It is an American Black Duck X Mallard Hybrid.

American Black Ducks at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 01

IMG_8813

Then there was this oddball, which I hoped to be a Mottled Duck but is more likely a female American Black Duck X Mallard Hybrid.

IMG_8821

IMG_8834

IMG_8865

Written and published on January 31, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment