Saturday, October 12, 2013

Nelson's Sparrow, Finally!

Nelson's Sparrow at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County 02

Tuesday, I had the opportunity to see my lifer Le Conte's Sparrow at Sugar Grove Nature Center in Funks Grove. Today I returned to Sugar Grove to look for my first Nelson's Sparrow, but I could not find Nelson's, Le Conte's or Henslow's sparrows. My best birds were Lincoln's. I had 5-6 of them. I also saw Song, White-crowned, and of course Swamp Sparrows. Here is one of the Lincoln's.

Lincoln's Sparrow at Sugar Grove Nature Center in Funks Grove, IL 01

After I realized there were no Ammodramus sparrows at Funks, I decided to try the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary for Nelson's. When I got there it was raining, but I walked through the woods to the blind for cover. While I waited in the blind, I saw more Lincoln Sparrows, Song Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, and a Nashville Warbler. When the rain stopped, I walked back to the parking area to meet Les Allen and Wes Kolb. Wes needed Le Conte's and Nelson's as lifers, and Les needed Le Conte's as a county bird and Nelson's as a state bird.

We checked for Le Conte's first in the prairie Southwest of the gate. Wes and Les flushed a bird, and I followed it. It was a Le Conte's! It perched in a bush, and sat there until we all got great looks.

Le Conte's Sparrow at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 03

Le Conte's Sparrow at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 06



Next we headed South along the gravel road to the ponds. We did not see any Nelson's Sparrows there, but we had lots of White-crowneds, Swamps, Songs, and a Marsh Wren.

Marsh Wren at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 01

Here is one of our Song Sparrows . . .

Song Sparrow at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 01

and here is one of our Swamp Sparrows.

Swamp Sparrow at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 02

Next we decided to check out the brand new wetland Southeast of the blind. It was the first time I had seen it, and it was amazing! To my knowledge, there is nothing like it anywhere in the county. I cannot wait to see what this new habitat brings next Spring. It is perfect habitat for Nelson's Sparrows, and we found one, which was seen first by Wes!

Nelson's Sparrow at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County 01

It was not the most cooperative bird, but it was a lifer for Wes and me and a state bird for Les! And we also had Wilson's Snipes, another Marsh Wren, and Savannah Sparrows in the wetland.

Savannah Sparrow at the Kenneth L. Schroeder Wildlife Sanctuary in McLean County, IL 01

With Eastern Towhee and White-throated Sparrow, our sparrow species count at Schroeder totaled at nine. Although the light was not great and the weather could have been better, any day with Le Conte's and Nelson's is a great day, especially when you can share these birds with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment