Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bad Photos of Good Raptors and Other Winter Birds

Barred Owl in Woodford County 03

This post is just a report of some of the birds I have seen and photographed over the past month in McLean, Woodford, and Livingston Counties, including some cool raptors, waterfowl, etc.

Winter is a great time to visit the feeders at Sugar Grove Nature Center in Funks Grove, IL. Sugar Grove is one of the most reliable spots in the state to see Eurasian Tree Sparrows, which can be seen at the feeders there year round. These birds are always exciting to see since parts of Illinois and Missouri are the only places you can see them in the wild in North America. Like their relatives the English House Sparrows, they were brought to the United States from Europe, but they have not spread as quickly. Here are a couple of shots of these birds at Sugar Grove on January 14.

Eurasian Tree Sparrows at Sugar Grove Nature Center in Funks Grove, IL 02

Eurasian Tree Sparrows at Sugar Grove Nature Center in Funks Grove, IL 01

Other birds of interest at the feeders at Sugar Grove were Common Grackles and Brown-headed Cowbirds. These two species are not easily found in central Illinois in the middle of winter, but a few of them seem to hang around the feeders at Sugar Grove.

On January 16, I saw this Rough-legged Hawk near El Paso in Woodford County. Unfortunately, this skittish bird took off after I took this shot, and I could not relocate it.

Rough-legged Hawk in Woodford County 01

Earlier this Winter, Deanna Frautschi had graciously invited me to see the Great Horned Owl that hangs out in her backyard. Deanna, who lives in South Bloomington, has turned her yard into a mini nature preserve. Not only does she have well tended feeders. She has also planted enumerable trees and other plants, including a large number of pines to provide food and habitat for the birds. On January 21st, I visited her yard with Les Allen. Although we did not find the Great Horned Owl, we did see a Pine Siskin and the Chipping Sparrow shown below. Although Chipping Sparrow is common in Illinois in the Spring, they are rare in the Winter.

Chipping Sparrow in McLean County, IL

Also present in her yard was a small flock of Cedar Waxwings, probably drawn to her berries, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, Dark-eyed Juncos, and a large flock of American Robins, and a European Starling. Below are pictures of a waxwing, a junco, a robin, and a starling from her yard.

Cedar Waxwing in Bloomington, IL 02

Dark-eyed Junco in Bloomington, IL 01

American Robin in Bloomington, IL 02

European Starling in Bloomington, IL

After I took Les home, I stopped by Given Harper's yard in Normal to see the Eastern Screech-owl, which roosts in the Screech-owl box he made. Given has also been gracious to allow me to visit his yard to see this fascinating bird. Notice the blood remaining at the base of this predator's bill.

Eastern Screech-owl in Normal, IL 03

The next day, I saw this Northern Harrier near Lake Bloomington on my way to a weekend appointment with a client's family at work.

Northern Harrier at Lake Bloomington, IL 04

Northern Harrier at Lake Bloomington, IL 05

Northern Harrier at Lake Bloomington, IL 06

This flock of Wild Turkeys was in a field North of the lake.

Wild Turkey at Lake Bloomington, IL 03

On my way home that evening, I saw the adult male Snowy Owl I had seen on January 11 and 12 East of Gridley in a field South of Highway 24. The owl was in the exact same field pretty close to the spot I had first seen it on January 11.

Snowy Owl in McLean County, IL

On January 23, I checked El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County for waterfowl. I saw a Lesser Scaup with two Ring-necked Ducks. Below is a shot of the Ring-necked Duck and a shot with both the Ring-necked and the Lesser Scaup for comparison.

Ring-necked Duck at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 01

Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Scaup at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 01

Here are a couple of shots I took of Red-tailed Hawks on I-39 on January 24.

Red-tailed Hawk in McLean County 01

Red-tailed Hawk in McLean County 02

Later that morning I saw this Rough-legged Hawk South of Highway 24 very close to where I had seen the Snowy Owl.

Rough-legged Hawk in McLean County 01

I returned to the same spot later in the day and saw this Northern Harrier.

Northern Harrier in McLean County 02

Northern Harrier in McLean County 03

Northern Harrier in McLean County 04

Then I saw this Red-tailed Hawk in Livingston County.

Red-tailed Hawk in Livingston County

I continued my search for raptors that evening, but only saw more Red-tailed Hawks, a couple of guys ice skating at the South end of Evergreen Lake, and a beautiful sunset.

Man Ice-skating on Evergreen Lake in McLean County

Sunset at Evergreen Lake

On January 26, I got a text from Matthew Winks, who had found over 20 Tundra Swans at Evergreen Lake. I had never seen Tundra Swans, so as soon as I got off work, I headed toward Evergreen, hoping to see them. Earlier that day I had seen this Rough-legged Hawk in Livingston County with a client. After the initial shots, I actually drove up to this bird, which was perched on a short pole by the road. I got about five yards from it, but my camera was not set up correctly and I ended up photographing the bird's tail as it flew away.

Rough-legged Hawk in Livingston County 02

Rough-legged Hawk in Livingston County 03

On the way to see the Tundra Swans, I saw a few Ring-necked Pheasants in the fog.

Ring-necked Pheasant in Livingston County 02

When I arrived at Evergreen Lake next to the water pump station, it was very foggy, but I could see Tundra Swans out on the frozen lake from behind the pump house. I set the scope on them, and eventually the fog cleared up enough that I could take some pictures. Not long after I had arrived, Mary Jo Adams showed up to see these beautiful birds. She had run into Dale Birkenholz and Les Allen, who had told her about the swans. She was in a hurry and did not stay long, but it was nice to meet her. I had read her posts on the Central Illinois Birders' Forum.

Tundra Swan at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 03

Tundra Swan at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 08

My wife Carrie loves swans so I called her to see if she would be able to meet me to see these Tundra Swans. She said she would come as soon as she got off of work so I decided to stay there to keep my eyes on the birds in case they moved. While I was waiting for her, I photographed one of two Song Sparrows in the tall grass by the pump station driveway. There was also at least one American Tree Sparrow in the same area.

Song Sparrow at Evergreen Lake in McLean County, IL 02

Just before Carrie pulled up, the swans walked off the ice into the water and started to swim further out into the lake. However, they did not go far, and she was able to get good looks through the scope when she arrived.

Tundra Swan at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 12

It was not long until the swans left the water and returned to the same spot on the ice. This was a great way to start the weekend with my wife. This was the first time either of us had seen a Tundra Swan and we were seeing them together--all 22 of them. I counted 15 adult and 7 juvenile birds.

Tundra Swan at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 19

Tundra Swan at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 22

The next day, I saw this juvenile Red-tailed Hawk on Airport Rd. in Bloomington, IL.

Red-tailed Hawk in Bloomington, IL 01

On January 31, I photographed this American Kestrel sitting on a fence beside I-39 on the way to work.

American Kestrel in McLean County, IL 01

Later that day, I checked El Paso Sewage Treatment Center, hoping to see Snow Geese because I had read a report by Rich Laramore, who had seen Snow Geese further South. He said in his report that they were moving North a few weeks early apparently due to the unseasonably warm weather we were having. Thanks to Rich for the heads up! As I drove down the road beside the sewage lagoons, I saw 46 Snow Geese and 1 Ross's Goose standing up on the hill between the road and the ponds. They were beautiful, and the light was perfect. Notice the one Ross's Goose on the far left. It is smaller, and its bill is short and stubby compared to the other birds. Also, it does not have a noticeable gap between the top and bottom of its bill like the other birds do.

Ross's Goose and Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 01

There were both adult and juvenile light and dark morph birds (also called white and blue morph). The adult light morph birds are all white, while the juveniles are have white heads dark backs and mostly white bellies. The adult dark morph birds have white heads and necks and dark bodies, while the juvenile dark morph birds have dark heads with just a little bit of white spotting around the eyes.

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 03

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 04

Below is a picture of an adult dark morph Snow Goose with a juvenile dark morph Snow Goose.

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 12

And this shot has an adult light morph, an adult dark morph, and a juvenile light morph.

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 15

Below are a few more photos. Notice the variation in size among these birds. There was on small light morph Snow Goose that I first mistook to be a Ross's Goose, but it had the Snow Goose bill. I also noticed that at least a third of these birds were dark morphs. I thought the percentage of dark morphs in the flock seemed unusually high based on what I had noticed in the past.

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 09

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 17

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 22

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 23

It's always entertaining to see goose getting goosed by another goose!

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 11

I was taking these pictures from my car along the road, but eventually these birds grew weary of my presence so they took off and circled around a bit before they landed in one of the lagoons.

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 25

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 29

Snow Goose at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center in Woodford County, IL 30

The same evening, I saw this American Kestrel in Woodford County

American Kestrel in Woodford County 04

When I checked Evergreen Lake on the way home, I found this Bald Eagle flying over the water pump station along with several gulls. The light was poor so I could not tell for sure whether they were Herring Gulls or Ring-billeds.

Bald Eagle at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 02

On February 2, Les Allen met me in El Paso when I got off of work, and we went to the location South of Secor where Matthew Winks and Ted Hartzler have seen a Northern Shrike. I had been there several times already looking for this bird. I thought I had seen it just briefly once on a power line, but it flew off shortly after I got my binoculars on it, and I could not be 100% sure. I hoped I would have better success with Les, but we were unable to locate the shrike.
We did, however, find 2-3 Northern Mockingbirds.

Northern Mockingbird in Woodford County, IL 03

Just a few days later, I picked up Les to try again. Before I picked him up, I saw this juvenile Red-tailed Hawk feeding on something by the on ramp to the I55 S in Normal.

Red-tailed Hawk in McLean County, IL 05

Les and I stopped by Evergreen Lake on our way to the shrike location, and saw two Herring Gulls with several Ring-billeds at the South end.

Herring Gull and Ring-billed Gull at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 02

Herring Gull at Evergreen Lake in McLean County 01

When we got to the shrike location, we could not find the shrike, but we saw a gorgeous Barred Owl along the creek by 800 N Rd, which made our efforts worth while. It was just staring at us as I photographed it from the car.

Barred Owl in Woodford County 01

Barred Owl in Woodford County 04

Eventually the owl flew a little further away from the road where it was better hidden by the trees along the creek. This is almost a "Where's Waldo?" picture. Notice how the barring on this bird makes it blend in so well with the trees. This owl's amazing disguise reminds me that it was designed by an intelligent being--the Creator and Architect of the universe. Glory to God!

Barred Owl in Woodford County 07

On February 6, I saw this very dark Eastern Red-tailed Hawk along Highway 116 in Livingston County.

Eastern Red-tailed Hawk in Livingston County, IL 02

Eastern Red-tailed Hawk in Livingston County, IL 04

The next day, I saw this Rough-legged Hawk in Woodford County near El Paso Sewage Treatment Center. It flew back and forth between McLean and Woodford Counties.

Rough-legged Hawk in Woodford County, IL 01

This Red-tailed Hawk I photographed the following day is in just the right position to compare with the Rough-legged Hawk above.

Red-tailed Hawk in Woodford County, IL 01

On February 9, I found four Canvasbacks at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center.

Canvasback at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 01

Canvasback at El Paso Sewage Treatment Center 02

The same day, I checked the shrike location and found a small flock of Cedar Waxwings, but no shrike.

Cedar Waxwing in Woodford County 01

Written and published on February 14, 2012

2 comments:

  1. I think you are too modest; these are great photos! I frequently feel most spiritual out in nature, especially when looking at birds. In fact, I have occasionally yelled, "Thank you, God!" when I see something really special...or just notice how special they all are...so I know exactly what you mean about the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! I guess I was referring specifically to the raptor photos I took in bad light, and I was trying to come up with a catchy title. Thanks for sharing your spiritual experiences with nature! I really appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete