Thursday, January 5, 2012

Adult Light Morph Male Rough-legged Hawk in McLean and Woodford Counties

IMG_5390

Ted Hartzler called this morning to let me know that he had found a Rough-legged Hawk just East of El Paso Sewage Treatment Center. I headed over later this morning and saw the bird fly up from the corn field and hover over the road in front of me right around the corner of the road about a quarter mile East of the sewage ponds right around the corner of 2900E/1500E and 3200N/1100N road, which happens to be the county line between McLean and Woodford Counties. The bird, which seemed to be hunting, flew around quite a bit over both counties, giving me two county birds in one bird. The hawk was also harrassed some by crows. I lost and relocated it several times. At one point, a second hawk was flying near it, but I was not able to identify or photograph the second bird. I sent my photos to Matt Fraker, who is in New York, and he identified the bird as an adult light morph male.

IMG_5360

IMG_5384

IMG_5364

IMG_5389

No comments:

Post a Comment