Friday, November 19, 2010

Great Horned Owl

Great Horned Owl in McLean County, IL

Carrie and I left Illinois this morning to get an early start on our Thanksgiving Vacation. We will be visiting family in North Carolina and Savannah, Georgia. On the way out of town, we saw several American Crows on the side of the road surrounding something brown. At first, I thought it was a Long-eared Owl, but I guess that was just wishful thinking. We turned around and went back for a picture. From the car on a busy road, it was difficult to get close, and it was a completely overcast morning, but I was able to ascertain from the image that we saw a Great Horned Owl. The white around it's neck and lack of a black stripe going down across the eye eliminated Long-eared. I understand that Great Horned is fairly common in McLean County, but I do not often see owls or get this good of a look at an one, and this was my first Great Horned Owl. It was an exciting moment to share with my wife at the outset of our vacation! I tried to get out of the car to get closer, but as quickly as I opened the door, the owl and the crows flew away.

No comments:

Post a Comment